Complaints, Investigations and Hearings
The association can only investigate and discipline its own membersIf you feel a Home Inspector has acted in an unethical or unprofessional manner you can send a complaint to the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors, and we will answer that complaint fairly and responsibly.
What do I do?First, contact your Home Inspector. An agreement cannot be reached, your next step is to contact us. Refer to our OAHI DPPC Complaint Form to make sure you have all the information required to make a complaint. Complaints can be emailed to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I know whether to file a complaint?The Association will only handle complaints about Inspectors conduct and service. We investigate to determine whether the member has violated the bylaws, Standards of Practice, the Code of Ethics or Code of Conduct.
Please note that the Committee does not mediate disputes, impose settlements, nor provide an opinion on the alleged negligence of a member suitable for other proceedings.
How will I know my complaint has been received?Each complaint is carefully reviewed. The information that should be included:
- The form needs to be filled out containing:
- Your name and contact information,
- The Inspector’s name and information,
- The date of inspection and date of advising the inspector of the alleged issue.
- A PDF copy of report and photos of concern.
- Any attempts that the complainant has made to address and resolve the issue with the Inspector.
- This information should be emailed only to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read the above information about the complaints process. Then, if you want to initiate a formal complaint against a Home Inspector, you should view the OAHI membership directory to ensure they are a member.
How to contact us for complaints against OAHI members only;
Ontario Association of Home Inspectors
100-3901 Highway 7
Woodbridge, ON L4L 8L5